Homework Tips for Week 2
(-3)2 = (-3)(-3) = 9
-32 = -9
Evaluating Algebraic Expressions
Substitute the value of the variable inside a parenthesis and then use the order of operations.
Combining Like Terms
Like terms must have the identical variable part.
Add or subtract the coefficients using the rules for signed numbers. DO NOT touch exponents.
Steps for Solving Equations
1. Apply distributive property if necessary
1. Combine like terms on the same side of the equation
3. Add the opposite of the variable term.
4. Add the opposite of the constant term
5. Divide by the coefficient of the variable
BACK TO STUDY SKILLS TIPS